1.05.2006

Actually Actualizing


Oh boy. It's gonna take me forever to get through all of this. Jenny Baird has eighteen nursing degrees, six different Examining license, and ten hobbies, plus she went to Ireland. Here, I'll let her tell you herself...

"I moved to Seattle for a year to basically get away from here and have some fun for a while. Then, I got my Bachelor's degree in Psych at Niagara University. I worked at Strong on the Adolescent Inpatient Psych Unit for 4 years doing counseling with teens. I loved it!! Challenging, amusing at times, and rewarding for the most part. But, after 4 years I needed a change. I went through the U of R's Accelerated Nursing Program where I graduated in May with a Bachelor's degree in Nursing. I am currently working at Strong (Wilmont Cancer Center) on the Inpatient Hematology/Oncology Unit as an RN. I love the unit and patient population. I think I was born to be a nurse (as corny as that sounds). I am actually transferring from Oncology to Labor and Delivery in March. I have always wanted to deliver babies and the opening came up so I'm going for it. I am also working on getting my Forensic Nurse Examiner license and my Sexual Assault Nurse Examiner license."

Sheesh! What a slacker. I’m just kidding. It sounds like she has found her calling. God knows caring nurses are a special sort and one that I can't see having enough of.

A couple of summers ago I came home to attend a family reunion. My brother arrived on his new Ninja motorcycle. On our way home Jer and I were in my Jeep and Jona was zooming in front of us. To our horror, Jona lost control and went flying into a field. His motorcycle hit a tree seven or eight feet from the road. We thought the worst and hoped for the best. It was terrifying. The first person on the scene was Todd Smith. It was comforting to see a familiar face. I remember asking Todd to the side if my little brother was really OK. He shook is head and smiled at me. He told me he was fine and that he'd be all right. Jona walked away from the accident with a couple of nasty cuts on his elbows but all in all he was fine. So, thank you for that Todd. It meant a lot to me.
Todd and Jenny were married in Sept. 2005 and are living happily ever after in a home on the Oatka Creek.